Refractive Surgery Choices
Here are some of the more common refractive procedures offered at Bloomberg Eye Center in Newark, Ohio. The best choice for you will depend on the specific measurements and health of your eyes, your desire for quick recovery, as well as cost. For a more detailed explanation and questions please contact one of our refractive counselors.
Bladed Custom LASIK
- Customized correction based on prescription (near and far-sightedness, astigmatism) and Keratometry (corneal curvature)
- Longest track record
- Flap thickness and size is more variable
- Minimal glare may be expected
- More affordable
Blade-Free Custom LASIK
- Topography-guided, individualized treatment
- Consistent, controlled, thinner flaps possible with Intralase iFS laser (blade-free technology)
- Better quality of vision, less night glare than Bladed LASIK
- Enhancements less likely to be required
- The safest form of LASIK
- The technology approved for Navy Pilots and Astronauts
- Most popular laser vision procedure chosen by our patients
Advanced Surface Treatment (LASEK, PRK)
- Recommended for irregular or thin corneas and certain occupations
- Laser done directly on the corneal surface , not under a flap
- Longer recovery, but same visual results as LASIK
- Less dryness and better corneal strength as treatment is not as deep as LASIK
- Implantable contact lens
- Used for high prescriptions or when corneal surgery is not safe.
- Better quality of vision than LASIK for the right candidate
- Procedure is done one eye at a time, vs bilateral for LASIK
- Procedure is reversible, unlike laser vision correction.
- Retains focusing ability of the eye (accommodation) in younger people.
The LASIK procedure was simpler than I thought. Now I see 20/20. Bloomberg Eye Center made me feel at ease. I found out how fortunate we are to have Bloomberg Eye Center in our backyard.