Cataract & Lens Implant Choices
A lens implant replaces the cataract that was the natural lens of the eye. How well you see is directly related to the quality of the implant and how well it corrects your prescription. The choice of implant often times is determined by your level of comfort with glasses after surgery.
Traditional Cataract Surgery
Good vision with glasses
This is insurance-covered and includes removal of cataract and placement of a standard lens implant. Astigmatism correction and LASIK enhancement are not included. Bifocal glasses are usually required after surgery for best near and far vision
Precision HD Vision
In this option we aim for optimal vision at distance without needing glasses, and with optional blended vision (one eye slightly under-corrected), you get good intermediate range vision as well, at an affordable price. This includes:
- Most precise monofocal lens implant with least amount of glare.
- Correction of astigmatism via corneal incisions or toric lenses.
- LASIK vision correction to fine-tune the vision (if needed) at no extra cost.
- Optional “blended vision” technique to improve intermediate-range vision.
Distance and Near Vision
Premium implants are intended to give you better up-close vision, with some trade-offs. Astigmatism reduction and LASIK enhancement are included as needed. The specific choice of implant will be determined by your doctor based on your lifestyle and eye health.
- Crystalens/Trulign implants offer a good focus range from distance to intermediate, but you may still need low-power reading glasses for up-close and for small print.
- Multifocal implants (Restor, Tecnis, Symfony, etc.) offer strong up-close vision, but due to the multifocal nature of the lenses, they may cause glare, especially with night driving. This may be a good choice if you are mainly interested in reading or seeing up-close, and glare is not likely to be an issue for you.
If you believe you may have cataracts and would like to learn more about cataract surgery, contact our Newark and Columbus, Ohio practice to schedule an evaluation and consultation.