Shahin Shahinfar, M.D.
Since 1995, Dr. Shahinfar has been proudly serving the residents of Columbus, Central Ohio, and West Virginia. As a trusted LASIK surgeon, he has performed eye surgery on thousands of patients, including dozens of the Eye Center’s staff, their family, and friends. He has performed over 50,000 LASIK procedures (and thousands of other eye surgeries), making him one of the most experienced LASIK surgeons in Ohio.
Dr. Shahinfar became interested in laser vision correction early on. He was a primary investigator for Lasersight, one of the manufacturers of excimer lasers, along with the late Dr. Bloomberg. To learn LASIK eye surgery, he traveled to Santa Domingo, Dominican Republic and worked with Dr. Raphael Felix, an expert LASIK surgeon familiar with the Lasersight excimer laser. This was prior to Lasersight’s FDA approval in this country. Dr. Shahinfar went on to become certified on several other laser platforms, including AMO Visx, Bausch & Lomb, Nidek, and IntraLase utilized at Bloomberg Eye Center.
Areas of interest
- Refractive surgery, comprehensive ophthalmology, cataracts, retinal diseases, and surgery
- Active staff at Grant Medical Center, Columbus; Licking Memorial Hospital, Newark; Ohio State University Hospital, Columbus
- University of California-Berkeley, graduated with Honors, 1984
- University of Illinois, College of Medicine at Chicago, 1985-1990
- Santa Clara Valley Medical Center, Internship, 1990-1991
- Stanford University Basic Science Course in Ophthalmology 1991
- University of Missouri-Columbia, Residency in Ophthalmology, 1991-1994
- Southern Illinois University, Clinical Fellowship, 1994-1995
- Board Certified, American Board of Ophthalmology
- Fellow of the American Academy of Ophthalmology
- Member, American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons
- Member of the American Society of Retina Specialists
- Member of Ohio Ophthalmologic Society
- Diplomat of the National Board of Medical Examiners
- AMA’s Physician’s Recognition Award
- Clinical Assistant Professor, Ohio State University
- Primary investigator for Lasersight Technologies, studying laser vision correction at Bloomberg Eye Center
- Investigator for CIBA Vision, studying photodynamic therapy for macular degeneration
- Dr. Shahinfar has published articles in leading peer-reviewed journals.
"The service was exceptional. I would trust the Bloomberg Eye Center to handle all aspects of my vision."